Every other month, Writer’s Digest presents a creative challenge for fun and prizes. We’ll provide a short, open-ended prompt. In turn, you’ll submit a short story of 750 words or fewer based on that prompt. You can be funny, poignant, witty, etc.; it is, after all, your story. The winner will receive publication in an upcoming issue of Writer’s Digest.
- Judging criteria are inventiveness, creativity and—where appropriate—humor.
- One entry per person. <!–
- Only e-mail entries are accepted; use the Your Story submission form to submit your entry.
- WD retains first-time rights to run the winner (and finalists) in the magazine and/or on our website, after which all rights return to the author.
- WD editors will select the top five entries and post them on our Writer’s Forum. Readers will vote on their favorite to determine the winner. (Remember, you must be a registered member of the Writer’s Digest forum to read and vote in this competition.)
- The decisions of its editors are final.
- Deadline for contest #14 is 10/10/2008; winners will be published in the February 2008 issue and on the Your Story winners page at WritersDigest.com.
- For official rules, please review: Your Story Official Rules
- For past winners, visit: Your Story Winners
//–>Your Story #14: Pirate Package
A man receives a package with no return address. It contains a pirate-style eye patch and a note.
—From The Writer’s Book of Matches (Writer’s Digest Books) by the staff of fresh boiled peanuts, a literary journal.
To submit your story by October 10, click on the Your Story submission form below.
Your Story submission form